The Perfect Week!

This week, we taught solely at Koalabata-it was great!  HIV EDUCATION WEEK!!

On Monday,  we introduced the series on HIV/AIDS with a pretest to assess how much the kids already knew, which proved to be extremely little.  Then, I gave a  lecture describing the role of the immune system.  The students drew each member of the immune system as cartoons working in a factory of the body and began to understand how the body fights off disease.  The class was divided into 6 groups and each was given a topic: HIV-definition/cause, symptoms, treatment, prevention, HIV and moms, and transmission.  They were told  that during the week they would design colorful posters, answer questions, and create skits to educate the community members who would attend the testing event.  We gave them an outline and all the information they needed to complete the project and gain a full understanding of the topics. Then, we read all the educational information we had given each group as a snowball activity in which the students were allowed to throw wads of paper with questions pertaining to HIV to us.  On Tuesday, the students were introduced to the Soldiers of the Body story of HIV.  We then played a game where one student stood in the center of a circle surrounded by eight other students who were acting as CD4 soldier cells.  Two other students were then selected to act as viruses and bacteria; they tried to get to the student in the center of the soldier students, but were unable.  Then, we, the teachers, played the role of the HIV virus and eliminated the CD4 cells one-by-one.  Now, when the “germs and diseases” were allowed to try and get to the student in the center, they had no problem.  The students now had a full understanding of how HIV attacks and destroys the CD4 cells of the immune system.  The students were then given group time to begin their posters and questions. On Wednesday, we played a true or false game with the students outside.  Amit held a sign that said false and I held a sign that said true; we stood across the netball field and the students stood in the middle.  Statements were read about the transmission of HIV and students had to run to the correct spot, either true or false.  The students had a great time and proved to have gained a large amount of knowledge about the disease.  During group time, we supervised the completion of the educational posters.  Thursday, the students developed creative skits explaining their topics.  They were amazingly informative and the students fully enjoyed making them.  Friday, the day of the testing, the students participated in HIV activities led by Kick for Life, HIV testing, the soccer tournament, and then begged us to allow them to do their skits.  The skits were once again great!  Each morning of the week, we taught our science and math lessons.  After lunch was the time devoted to HIV education.   We also organized food for everyone who was tested at the event.  The event ran from 11:30am-5:00pm. The entire event and the week was a huge success: students gained knowledge of the HIV virus, learned their status, and had a great time educating others about the prevention and treatment of the disease.

We gave the  forms out this week for the scholarship we are giving out to two of the students.  We are looking for a boy and a girl who cannot afford to attend secondary school but are extremely capable and academically promising.  As we read through the completed applications, we realized that most of them had been written by the parents.  I don’t know what to do.  The parents lied about what the students want to do with their lives, but luckily the teacher we are working with knows the students really well.  She is able to help us determine who really needs the money and who has made great grades in the past.  Through working with the students, we feel like we know who is able to excel, but we don’t have any idea what their situation at home is like.  Reading through the applications is really hard; I love all the students so much! I want to help them all; they all need financial support.  On Monday, we will hold interviews for the five finalists.  

Wednesday, I went with Dr. Lindy to serve food at a weekly soup kitchen for children.  It was heart-wrenching to see all the hungry children.  We were able to interact and play games with them while the food was being prepared.  They were so needy.  I feel like play dough being molded by every person and every situation I am faced with.  

Today, I helped with Teen Club at Baylor. This is a monthly club for HIV positive kids.  It serves as a support group for them.  It was a blast!  They play games and teach the children important things such as adherence to medication and nutrition.  The kids were so sweet!  

I am developing great relationships with my students.  It makes me so sad to think about leaving.

I have decided to have a camp for the girls in my class at Koalabata.  I asked them to make a list of what they were interested in learning and doing.  They were SO excited!  They want me to teach them to cook (school has no electricity- can we say no bake cookies :)!), work with them on math problems, educate them on health issues, play games, and sing!  Potentially the camp will be two days; I am working on the daily plans.  My main goal is to provide them with a loving, encouraging mentor.  I want them to believe in themselves.