FIFA World Cup 2010! Feel it! It is here!

This phrase, blaring Vuvuzuelas, and K’naan’s “Waving Flag” have become a constant in my days here in Lesotho. It is truly amazing how the country has come together as one to cheer on Bafana Bafana. The Baylor doctors were meeting at the Maseru Sun to watch the Bafana Bafana vs. Uruguay game tonight and we were invited to join them. On our way to the hotel, our taxi driver expressed his enthusiasm for the South African team. “Bafana Bafana will win!” he told us confidently when we asked who he thought was going to win tonight.

The Maseru Sun bar was packed with people when we walked in 15 minutes before the start of the game. The band was playing, Basotho women were dancing and singing in Sesotho, and everyone else were either blowing into their Vuvuzuelas or clapping along. I couldn’t even hear the person next to me over the music and the blaring horns. Dr. Meena had managed to get her own Vuvuzuela and I found out how difficult it was to actually make it sound! You have to press your lips together, ram your lips into the mouth of the horn, and blow through closed lips. After several tries, I finally managed a wimpy toot.

The dancing and festivities continued throughout the game. Even as Uruguay continued to score against the Bafana Bafana, the fans remained faithful and sang traditional songs to cheer their favorite team. The room was as packed at the end of the game as it had been at the beginning and the singing and the blaring of Vuvuzuelas persisted despite South Africa’s devastating loss. I’m confident everyone will return to cheer on their boys next week against France!

CrazinessBafana Bafana Pride