Today, I got offered a goat…

With a title like that, I have to say that it has been an exciting few days here in Thaba Bosiu. This past Saturday, Beth, Susan, and I, along with 7 of our students, climbed the Thaba Bosiu Mountain that paints the backdrop of our entire town. The man who runs the tourist center gave us a brief but detailed history of the famous mountain, the place where the kings of Lesotho are buried and honored. However, the best tour guides were our students, who skillfully scaled the rugged terrain with plastic sandals on their feet and thermoses in their hands. One of our students, Tito, deemed himself the “mountain boy”- and rightfully so, showing us hidden animals within the crevices of the rocks, pointing out oddly-shaped stones that were used for grinding, and relaying facts upon facts about this familiar mountain. As we reached a mysteriously placed sand pit on a flat plateau, we were able to relax and enjoy the time we had getting to know our students better. I was deeply touched by Tito’s hardened yet gentle heart, his understanding that as a double orphan, he cannot just stay at home and do nothing in order to provide food for his younger sister in primary school. His face softened and his personality just beamed as he led our group through the mountain, displaying a sense of pride and confidence that I had never seen in the classroom.
On Sunday, we were also able to go to the Eloheim Church near our lodge. It was a joyful time as I enjoyed worshipping with another culture. We were even fortunate enough to have one of the students we had met from a different high school translate the message for us.
Today, we were able to visit the church again, which serves as a clinic throughout the week. It is run by a registered nurse named Rebecca, the pastor’s wife. Brittany and I came with the hopes of volunteering in a medical setting, and Mrs. Rebecca warmly welcomed us in. Although the clinic is only a single room adjoined to the church, it seemed fairly well stocked with supplies and medicines. Mrs. Rebecca sees approximately three patients a day, but the number varies from season to season, week to week. While we did not see a patient today, we were deeply privileged to learn and to listen to the vast amount knowledge Mrs. Rebecca shared with us. She was eager to test our knowledge, prodding our minds on the symptoms and treatments of illnesses such as meningitis and stroke. She taught and informed us about the common diseases she sees in Thaba Bosiu, including HIV/AIDS, respiratory illnesses, pediatric burns, as well as the current outbreak of children measles amongst the population. It was evident that she was extremely wise and intelligent, yet most graciously humble.
Most captivating, however, was her passion to combine her faith and her knowledge of medicine to teach young people about the issues of puberty and how to live holy lives. She honestly shared personal anecdotes and stories of patients to depict the real struggles that young people face, who often feel confused or stigmatized when their bodies change. She understands so wholly the cultural, social, and psychological issues that surround each patient, fully aware of the practices of witchcraft, family pressures, and the taboos that lie with speaking on such issues. It was personally encouraging to see her speak so passionately and so enthusiastically about her ministry of medicine, something I hope to do in the future. Mrs. Rebecca is a faithful, strong, and amazing woman- one whom I admire and hope to learn much from.

To finish my title, today I was offered a goat from a shepherd crossing the road. I politely declined.