We gave our COSC exam and…

We gave our COSC exam and…the results were consistent with their performance during regular school terms, which is to say we wish they could have been higher. But now, we have a very good idea of what subject each student is strong and weak in. Beverly and I plan on adding a section focused on different COSC topics each day as part of our lesson plan. This way, by learning one topic a day, they can hopefully grasp a handful of concepts by the time our camp is over. We will still be focusing on problem solving for the next two weeks, with career guidance this week and social issues the next.

On Friday we had a guest speaker from the National University of Lesotho. She was actually a student at Letsie High School several years back and passed her COSC to go to university. She came to talk about how she applied to the university and described college life. We gave our students and Form E students the opportunity to ask whatever questions they wanted, and I was shocked that they did not take better advantage of their chance. Many of them kept quiet and only listened to what others had to say. It might have been because of timidity or lack of curiosity, but I hope that in the future when we invite other guest speakers, they can gain more from listening to their experiences.

On another note, we went pony trekking in Malealea Lodge yesterday, and I absolutely loved it! It was my first time riding a horse by myself (the last time I went was in elementary school on a field trip), and our guide was very helpful in teaching me how to ride. I enjoyed looking at the beautiful scenery and waterfall along our trek. Hopefully I’ll get to satisfy my newly discovered equestrian side back in the States!