Trying to inspire

This week concluded our teaching of the PSLE refresher course at Koalabata.  I can’t believe it is over!  

This week was.. Career week!  On Monday, we put the kids into groups and had them create their own towns.  They made a list of all the jobs that were required to make the town run smoothly.  We discussed how everyone’s job is important.  Then, each group was given a problem: the factory in the town was causing pollution and making all the children sick; they had to work together to make a skit and solve the problem while using many different careers that had been listed.   During lunch, we interviewed the scholarship finalists.  The interviewing process was really difficult because it was hard to tell who was telling the truth about their family’s financial situation.  The teacher, Me Thabane, helped us to determine who was being truthful.  I love all the kids, but we had to just choose two for the scholarships; we decided to fund Mamasui and Angelina.  Two of the finalists were double orphans, but they will receive funding from the government.  The girls we selected have both their parents, but they are not working.  Mamasui is one of eight children!  Angelina’s parents struggle to find work doing odd jobs.  Neither of them would have been able to go on to high school.  Our scholarship is for just one year, so hopefully the parents will be able to save up funds to continue their daughter’s education.  My heart hurt having to choose from the huge list of needy and well deserving students, but I believe that we made the right choices.  The girls ran out of the room and around the building in joy when we told them!  

On Tuesday, I made sure to spend time talking with all the children we interviewed for the scholarship to insure that they understood we had to choose the students who would not receive government scholarships and were most in need.  I told each student how awesome him or her was and tried to encourage them to continue working hard to reach their dreams!  We spoke with the parents of the winners; they were so happy!  Amit and I decided that we will make sure that two of the other students, Thapelo and Mamontseng, are able to go to high school.  We spoke with Mamontseng’s mother to explain how to apply for the government scholarship and the teacher spoke with Thapelo’s caregiver.  The principal said he will keep us updated on the status of the funding for these two and he will also let us know how they score on their PSLEs in December.  If they pass but just can’t afford to go, Amit and I will fund their schooling for next year (we didn’t tell anyone this, but it is our plan).  Thapelo-as discussed later- just needs a chance; he really wants to be a policeman.   We gave the post tests to the students- 70% increase in science scores!!   Our career/ goal lesson involved having the students make a list of high school, family and career goals.  We told them to keep the list and look back to it when times get hard; never give up on your goals!

Wednesday, we arrived to school with N’tate Thahane, the minister of finance for Lesotho.  We rolled up in his government Mercedes-a little out of place to say the least!  The children came in their uniforms and the Principal was overflowing with joy!  Thahane was a great speaker!  He told the children his life story; he was raised in a very rural part of Lesotho, received a scholarship and attended high school, graduated first-class, and went to a university in Canada.  He served as Vice President of the World Bank!  He told the students that they can never limit themselves, because he had no more than any of them do.  It was great!  The Principal made the comment that it was a great day for Koalabata and he never thought he’d live to see the minister visit Koalabata. :).  I was so glad that N’tate Thahane was able to fit us into his schedule.  His visit clearly meant so much to everyone.  Amit and I gave the students old versions of the PSLEs.  Their scores were much better than before; no one failed!  I just hope they stick with it and study until October for the real exam!

Our last day at the school was Thursday, so we declared it “FUN DAY!”  We played trivia, did charades, had a three legged race, played soccer, and just enjoyed our time with the students.  After lunch, the students wanted to perform a traditional dance for us- it was great!  We taped it!  The entire class sang, one student played a drum, and seven of the girls danced in their traditional outfits.  I loved it!  Then, Me Thabane brought up two chairs and had Amit and me sit in them.  They continued dancing and we were given beautiful gifts- Basotho hats and decorative wooden rugs.  I wanted to cry.  They are so appreciative of everything and I love them so much!  We gave the students the business cards we made for each of them!  You would not believe how much they loved them.  Each card had the student’s picture with Amit and I.  The card read _______ (student’s name)  future _______ (their desired occupation).  We put our contact info on the back.  Each student also received an individualized award certificate ranging from top math student to most helpful.  It was a great “closing ceremony.”

This week we have also been finishing up all our projects at Baylor.  I love working there; everyone is so welcoming and friendly.  I also met with a woman from Jewels for Hope, a non profit that helps orphans to acquire income.  The children meet weekly to make jewelry that is then sold locally and in the states.  It is a Christian organization that has each group set up with a mentor who gives them the love and instruction that they would otherwise never receive.  (jewelsofhope.org)   I hope to get more involved with their work.

The King’s Birthday was Friday! It was a National Holiday, so no work!  I developed the plan for my Girl’s Camp I am having next Tuesday- Thursday at Koalabata.  The girls (me especially) are so excited!  I have planned out everything!  I will post my lessons, ect. next time.

Today, I had to go to Lady Brand, South Africa to buy supplies for the Girl’s Camp (it needs a good name..hmm).  Craft supplies don’t exist in Lesotho.  

Thapelo- his name means prayer.  He has a special place in my heart.  On Tuesday, he told me that he had no food at his house.  I didn’t believe him at first, even though I had asked him to tell me if he ever was to go hungry, but the later the teacher told me it was probably true.  All I had was an apple left over, but I vowed to make sure he would not go hungry for the rest of the week.  I can assure you that he did not go hungry for the rest of the week :).  I am working with him to find a way for him to live a little better.  I had a one on one discussion with him and learned that he runs away from home often to escape abuse.  This hurts me.  I love him dearly.  I told him that there was one extra spot left over at my girl’s camp, and he could come if he wanted. He was really happy.  

I can’t even begin to think about leaving here.