Something Important to Me

Update for June 17th, 2010

This past Wednesday and Thursday (of last week, I was having technical difficulties posting the blogs) came packed with new challenges. On Wednesday, the students took their physics diagnostic exam. The average for this test was a 15/40- a score not considerably better than guessing on our multiple-choice exam. I did not expect them to ace the test, but I was hoping for an average closer to 50%. The day before, I spent 3 hours preparing full explanations to each answer so that we could go over them in class, but soon realized that it was useless at this point in time. The explanations were designed for students with a working knowledge of physics concepts, but the baffled look on their faces when I approached the first problem suggested otherwise. It appears that I will be starting from scratch. One thing I noticed immediately was that the students in front of me during this lecture did not seem like the outgoing, confident and fun students I met on Monday. Their faces reflected a much more somber and defeated attitude, and they were very quiet. It was almost as if the sentence “school is too hard, I know I can’t do it” was written across their foreheads.

It was really frustrating to try and teach in a self-defeating atmosphere, so I knew that my first lesson plan was going to have to be very interactive and start with the most basic principles that the students could feel confident in learning. I want them to build their confidence now so that they feel capable and prepared when they take on more difficult questions.

After this class, our Thaba Bosiu group of four headed over to the SOS children’s center to give a seminar on courtship and dating, and microfinance. Brittany and I did courtship and dating, and I think it was an educational experience for both student and teacher. The children at SOS are well educated, and often do discussion-based learning, so they are comfortable and open with all kinds of topics. We discussed everything from being rejected to date ideas to safe sex. It was thoroughly enjoyable to have a group that was so honest and open with their ideas, and I was flattered that they felt comfortable enough to ask us important, but difficult questions. I will admit however, that even though I’ve had ample opportunities to discuss sexual issues openly at Rice, I had never had to explain issues like “alternative ways to get intimate without intercourse” to a collection of people younger than me. I knew the more comfortable I acted, the more comfortable they would feel talking with me, so I had to focus on looking completely relaxed when the truth was, I was pretty nervous. I’m happy to report that both seminars went well, and that we will be returning to SOS for the remainder of our Fridays and Saturdays.

At the end of her first math lesson today, Brittany had the students journal for us on one of the three following writing prompts: something important to me, a problem in my life, and what I like to do for fun. Their stories illuminated the harsh reality of life in rural Lesotho. Four of our students were double orphans and fending completely for themselves, some with younger siblings to watch after. Four other students have lost one parent, and still another had a father absent due to a drug addiction. Nearly all of them mentioned school being important, because they knew it was the best way to a better life.