Salahantle, Thaba Bosiu

It is never easy to say goodbye. Our last day of class was filled with tears, hugs, and a bittersweet sense of accomplishment.

Before the party, our students completed their final exams. The results showed (drum roll please)… a 10% increase in the overall physics average, a 5% increase in biology and an equivalent average for math. While these results make me want to break out some dance moves, there is unfortunate news that accompanies it. While the students were taking their math final, I left the room to make copies of their answer sheet. The copier was having some issues, so the process took a little longer than I expected. While I was walking back to class, I glanced in the windows and saw a group of students huddled together with their exams, presumably discussing the answers. When I confronted them, the guilty members did not even try to defend themselves. I felt nothing but shear disappointment. What could they honestly gain from cheating on a test like this? Not only did it decrease the credibility of the statistics we use to analyze the success of our course, it prevented them from knowing how prepared they really were for the actual exam. In a weird way, I felt almost betrayed. Before handing out some basic school supplies we purchased as a departing gift, Brittany and I gave them a stern lecture on the consequences of cheating. That being said, it was only a small group of students that cheated on the final (as far as we know) compared to the many we are aware cheated on the original diagnostic tests. The most improved scores also correlated with the most dedicated students, so I am still thrilled with the results.

This unfortunate example leads me to comment on an attitude I’ve noticed is pervasive among residents of Thaba Bosiu and other low-income towns I’ve worked in. It is the “the world gave me nothing, so I will take whatever I can get however I can get it” perspective, and it seems to fuel activities such as theft, cheating, and violence. I of course, am in no position to say that I would not have fallen into this pattern had I been born into poverty, and quite frankly, I can see where is comes from. However, it plays a considerable role in hindering development and thus prevents new career opportunities. I can only hope that we have convinced our students that this viewpoint will only be detrimental to their potential success.

After handing out gifts and letters, we had a small party with everyone and shared cake, sweets, and many hugs. A few of them wrote us touching thank-you letters and, during our farewell talk, some of our manly boys (yes, even the dressmaker) looked teary-eyed. There is no sufficient way to articulate how this group of students has impacted my life. I want so badly for them to pass their exams and choose paths that will bring them happiness and satisfaction. I also hope we have instilled in them a sense of control and responsibility. They now know they are capable of succeeding, and they just need to follow through by working hard and taking advantage of opportunities themselves.

A few days after our last class, I went back to Letsie to turn in a final draft of our lesson plans and do a small resume workshop. After I went through each student’s resume, the class presented me with 2 Basotho hats (one for each Brittany and I) and a touching letter. I feel they would want it to be shared, so I copied it below:

To: Beth & Brittany,
We don’t know how to describe our happiness for being with you this past two months. We really appreciate your presence in our studies as well as our school. You changed our lives, you managed to do your work and now we are proud of you. We didn’t know that we can do better to all the subjects you offered to us but with you we got the knowledge. You are amazing!

Please accept a little gift coming from your students as “THANK YOU”. Every time when you look at it or just put on; remember Form E Students of LETSIE HIGH SCHOOL 2010.

WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Our class